Taking a screenshot is a pretty simple thing, but is also an essential skill to work on any device. In this article, we will go through the process of taking a screenshot of the Microsoft Surface lineup of devices. So, let’s go ahead and learn about how to take a screenshot on Microsoft Surface devices. When we talk about the Microsoft Surface lineup, we come across the surface pro, the surface go, the surface duo, Microsoft surface, and the surface book.
Since Windows 10 is also a product of Microsoft. We know that the process of taking a screenshot on your Microsoft Surface line of products is similar to that of Windows 10. If you want to know how to take a screenshot on Windows 10, go through the mentioned article. Considering that you already know how to take a screenshot on Windows 10 device, let’s dive in and look at how to take a screenshot on these devices as well.
How to take Screenshot on Microsoft Surface Pro devices
Just like in any Windows-powered device. You can use the print screen button available. But since Surface Pro is a tablet computer and Using a keyboard is an optional thing, You might have to look out for other options.
Let us first know how to take a screenshot of Surface Pro without a keyboard.
In the latest versions of your Surface Pro devices such as Surface Pro 7, surprise Pro X, or any Surface Pro Device from recent times.
Follow the below-given procedure for surface pro 7+, pro x, and later models:
- Whenever you want to take a screenshot, press and hold up the power button and volume up button simultaneously.
- You will see the screen become dim and then flash While the device captures your screenshot.
- The screenshot is now automatically saved in the Screenshots folder. The screenshots folder will be located in the default picture folder of your tablet computer.
For surface 3 and earlier models:
In the case of surface three and models earlier than that. Microsoft did not include a print screen-free or either an official touch or type cover accessory. Taking a screenshot on this device is a little complex, but easy to perform the task. Here we will need to perform a button combination and this will execute the screenshot commands.
- Tap and hold the windows icon that is located on the tablet screen.
- While you still hold the Windows icon pressed, now push the lower volume button located on the side.
- The screen will go dim and brighten again. This will let you know that the screenshot has been taken and is saved.
- Since the type and touch covers that came before Surface Pro 4 did not feature a print screen button, You will have to rely on Shortcut keys.
- Fn + windows + spacebar to take a screenshot.
For Surface Pro 4 and newer versions:
There are 2 ways of taking a screenshot on the Surface Pro devices. The first one is without the keyboard and the second one is with the type cover attached.
Since Surface Pro 4 and your version do not have a Windows button, the process will be a little different now.
- Click on the power button and then press the volume up button.
- Your screen will flicker and the screenshot will be taken.
- The screenshot will be directly saved.
- Click on the print screen button label as “PrtScn” which is found on the top row.
- This is located just beside the home button.
- Click windows + PrtScn.
- Once you click on this, it will take a screenshot of the entire screen.
- The screenshot will now be available in the clipboard and you can paste the picture or paint on it or save it from there.
Microsoft surface duo:
There are two ways on how you can take a screenshot on this surface branded phone.
- Tap the power button and hold it for a few seconds.
- In the menu, tap screenshot.
- Tap and hold the power button and then simultaneously hold the volume down button.
- The screenshot will be directly saved onto your screenshot folder in the Photos app.
This is how we normally take a screenshot using the built-in features of your Microsoft Surface lineup of devices. That being said, there are other options for taking screenshots. that is, by using windows 10 built-in tools for taking screenshots (example: snipping tool) or tools that are third-party applications ( example: snip & sketch). Taking a screenshot using 3rd party applications and snipping tool is the same in every Windows device. If you want to go further and know how to take screenshots on Windows devices using applications Such as snipping tools and snip and sketch. Please read our dedicated article on some of the best apps to take screenshots on Windows 10.